APPLIES TOWindows & Mac O/S Devices, Chromebooks, Chrome Web Browsers
Random unwanted pop-ups when using a network connected device and the Chrome Web Browser
Typically these pop-ups will come from a few sources:
- Chrome extensions
- Allowing a website to show notifications
- Default Search Engine change
First we will begin by looking at your currently installed Chrome extensions. We highly recommend you remove Chrome extensions that you do not recognize and are not using any more. Simply disabling the extension may not resolve the issue, so if possible, remove them.
- With Google Chrome open, click the 3 dots in the upper right corner
- Select More Tools
- Then choose Extensions
Now go through the list of extensions, removing ones you do not recognize and are no longer needing
- Some extensions cannot be removed as these are applied by the district
After extensions have been removed, you can close your Google Chrome browser, and re-launch to see if this corrected the issue.
- If the issue persists, continue on to Chrome Notification Settings
Chrome Notification Settings
When you visit websites, you may be prompted to Allow or Block that website from showing you notifications. Allowing a site will display unwanted pop-up notifications even if you are not actively viewing that website. As an example, this is what the prompt will look like, and to prevent these unwanted pop-ups, you should select Block.
If you think you have Allowed a website to show these notification pop-ups, you can remove them by following these steps:
- With Google Chrome open, click the 3 dots in the upper right corner, choose Settings
- At the top of the page in the Search Settings field, type: Notifications
- Choose Site Settings
Next choose Notifications in the list (it will be highlighted yellow)
Scroll down to the Allow website list
Select the 3 dots next to any website, choose Remove
After the allowed websites have been removed, you can close your Google Chrome browser, and re-launch to see if this corrected the issue.
- If the issue persists, submit a Software Issue Support Center Request